Sunday, April 6, 2008

First Thoughts on Informational Texts

My first gut reaction to this assignment was that we were going to have to read textbook-like accounts of some famous dead person. I was not excited about the thought. It didn’t even occur to me, at first, that there would be children’s literature or even picture books that could be considered informational. When I picked out the books I wanted to read I got more excited but a little confused. I was still confused as to how they were going to be entertaining for small children and also informational and aligned with historical facts. I guess I was very skeptical of the assignment as a whole. I think students, especially at the elementary level will have basically the same reaction. Kids will hear biography or historical and their eyes will immediately glaze over. I know there must be better books out their to address these subjects and I'm excited to read a few to see what is being written.

No comments: